Tuesday 22 February 2011

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!


Lantern shop in Hoi An

Didn't get to try these, but hope to soon!

where's the toilet? Its the hole in the corner.

Water Puppet theatre

Beach friend in Hoi An



Can't see me because I'm so tanned


I arrived safely in Vietnam last night after a 27 hour bus journey. I traveled with some crazy Canadian girls and some guys I met in Luang Probang. The journey was fine, except the man behind me decided to punch my chair erect every time I wanted to recline to sleep...nevermind. The drive into Hanoi was very interesting; going from fantasticaly green mountains to impoverished towns that looked like they had just gone through the war a couple of months ago. People are still using the old style military helmets as crash helmets. It was amazing seeing the women working in the rice fields wearing the pointy hats! I couldn't take pictures from the bus, but hopefully on my way out. I got to my hostel safely and was pleasently surprised to find myself in a backpacker's paradise! The building is a purpose-built backpackers with everything you could want! Bar, check. Clean and busy rooms, check. Nice showers and toilets that get cleaned every couple of hours check check check!!! Luke (my bed neighbor) is super nice and we've already had some stellar chats. I went to the night market last night with Chris and Big Phil to get some food which was DELISH!
This morning I got myself up early and had some lovely fluffy pancakes to set myself up for a day of exploring...Hanoi is CRAZY!! I first found myself in the market area with all sorts of crazy things to eat some of which included toads, live eels, and turtles :( Animal welfare most certainly is not a concern here. I found myself at the lake out of the old quarter and had a lovely walk around it. I got to one side and there was loads of commotion, people had even pulled over from the road and were taking pictures of the water.  I went to go see what was going on, and saw something in the lake. It was a MASSIVE turtle who has been living in the lake for ages, and I'm guessing is Hanoi's Nessie. Feel pretty lucky I saw it. The traffic here is intense, most people drive motorbikes, and there isn't much of a road system. You just have to either look down or at your destination and cross the road, knowing/hoping that the drivers will go around you. A nice man offered me a go on his heroin pipe in the street, I declined. I soon found myself in the artist district and took myself into almost every gallery. There is so much amazing art to see and I'd love to take it all home! Hanoi as a city is great to roam around, and am looking forward to exploring more of Vietnam!

No comments:

Post a Comment