Friday 4 February 2011

From Delhi to Bangkok

fish "massage"


sian was amazing!

great hat

I did NOT enjoy this
Sian and I were SO excited about coming to Bangkok! The flight was pretty quick and painless. I got another laugh whilst boarding the plane from Mr. Sajeet who thought my passport was hilarious. After building up quite a resilience to spicy food in India from A LOT of curry, I was worried that it might go back down to 0 when we left. Not to worry, lunch on the plane was of course a spicy curry. We read through our guide books and got even more excited when we joined a big group of people on the bus heading to Khao San Road. I was blown away as soon as I stepped off of the bus by the amount of people and neon lights on this one road! People were having a great time and there were so many yummy street vendors that we just couldn't pass it up. So we booked ourselves into a cheap hostel, dumped our stuff off, and headed down to explore. Although I was pretty hungry, nothing was going to tear us away from our first port of call: a giant tank where little fishies eat your feet. Brilliant. So we hopped in and "enjoyed" the experience.
After that we tried some of the local Pad Thai which was DELICIOUS and SPICY! I'm pretty happy we didn't get Delhi belly in India...I was a bit poorly one night, but apparently I ate rat so it was only expected. We met some nice people from Scotland (I think they were nice, I didn't understand most of what any of them were saying) and a guy from Dallas. We all had a few drinkies and enjoyed the insane atmosphere. I think we're going to a Thai Boxing match with them tonight...but not too sure.
This morning Sian and I were up bright and early to get bits and bobs done and explore the city. We found a lovely man who does laundry so gave him our clothes which he will clean and then hang out to dry in public. We have booked a couple of tours; tomorrow we're off to walk the River Kwai and then to see the floating market on Sunday. Hoping to get a cookery course in and of course see a tranny burlesque show...just hope these ones aren't into cursing people.
After a long and strenuous walk around this fantastically warm city, we thought we'd treat ourselves to a nice foot massage. There are loads of people hanging out on the sidewalk on lie-los havin it done, so I thought we should too. I especially wanted to have one to bring back my trust in the art of massage after having a rough experience on the beach in Goa. A lovely old lady convinced me to buy a head massage from here after a long time talking. I don't think this lady went to any kind of massage schooling. I basically had my scalp scratched and then my head compressed for about 20 minutes. She put a lot of oil in my hair, and by the end of it I had a fro. Not a problem, but it was certainly different. Sian enjoyed my pain tho, or so I assume from her muffled giggles. Anywho, this Thai foot massage was going to be great, so Sian and I snuggled and got ready. No surprise that the lady I had started pummeling my feet and actually punched me. I look over at Sian and she is having the nicest looking massage from a lovely man who yes, may have been stoned, but whatever. I will now be waiting a long time before I get involved in any kind of public rub down.


1 comment:

  1. You ate rat!!!! sick.
    The oily head compress sounds lovely!

    loves you xx

    ReplyDelete